Board Guru™ on: this week’s best corporate governance resources.
With the recent departure of Citi’s CEO, this video has some timely insights: CEO Expectations of the Board
What do CEOs need most from their board?
- Advice – including feedback on their leadership style
- Deep understanding of corporate strategy
- Constructive questions (see my e-book “The Art of Constructive Challenge”)
- Succession planning for the CEO and board
Leadership Presence and Strategic Engagement:
In today’s environment of complex challenges and rapid change, problem-solving ability becomes even more crucial. If you want a test to assess your level of adaptability, consider StrengthsFinder or Emotional Competence Inventory (ECI). The latter tests adaptability on four scales:
1. Openness to new ideas
2. Adaptation to situations
3. Handling of unexpected demands
4. Adapting or changing strategy
To understand what changes you need to make to continue to be successful, read: What Got You Here Won’t Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful by Marshall Goldsmith. Adaptability is not just a “nice to have competency”. It is a competitive advantage for you as a leader and for your organization.